Thursday, June 16, 2011

Special Assignment 1

1. Did you know about WolframAlpha? I had heard of it but I never looked into it.
 2. Did you know about Google Squared? No, I did not.
Google Squared search engine 3. What percentage of China's population is the population of the United States? 24%
4. What percentage of India's population is the population of the United States? 25%
5. Now what do you think of the facts reported in Do You Know? I think it  just goes to show countries are growing as rapid as technology.
6. Do you think WolframAlpha and Google Squared will be useful for you? for your students? Why or why not?
Yes, I very much enjoyed the tools. I think the students will love having these tools to their disposal. I think they will like being able to type any kind of question in and have it answered in detail. I enjoyed the tools because it seemed to be quicker than just a Google search and the two engines provided more to the point results.

1 comment:

  1. Ouida McDaniel understood the point of this exercise better than anyone else so far. Here is a portion of her post:
    "After looking at this information I believe that the statics that are reported in Do You Know? did not show the whole picture.  It is easy to be shocked that India has more gifted students than the U.S. has students if that is the only information that you are given.  But when you look at the population size of each country you see that the population is so much greater in India that it follows that they would have more gifted students.  India's population is almost 75% larger than the United States.  I think as teachers we need to teach our students to look at all the data so they get a clear picture of a topic not just a piece."

    ReplyDelete